Re: AMD64 question: update

2006/7/11, Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 14:54 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:> > Second: If you have a 64bit processor you definitly want to make use> > of it. Most apps nowadays calculate with double-numbers. these run a> > lot faster on 64bit.> not really, they don't. floating point is done on a different processor.> greater memory bandwidth on some processors/motherboards etc. can make> working with 80-bit floats faster, but a 64 bit CPU itself has no real> effect.
Well, I _know_ that 64bit is faster: Here at work I have dual-Xeon'swith 2.8GHz, my laptop is a Turion64 with 1.8GHz. The same computation(evaluating scientific data from time-of-flight/lifetime experiments)on the same data-files is significant slower on the work-pc's (almostfactor 2). As my threads are one thread for computation and others forloading and saving the data, it is really a comparison of two singleprocessors, where the faster one does even the IO-work itself...
also, i don't know many apps that use 80 bit FP, for audio or anything> else that matter. there are some, but not many.
We will switch to 64bit here at work the next time we buy computersbecause they _are_ faster. (even more as we are starting a projectwith amd :-) )
Have a nice day,
Arnold
-- visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.