Re: AMD64 question: update

2006/7/11, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx>:>     I'm considering trying a new distro. Gentoo and Ubuntu are> recommended, so I might look at them. However, my main question is: Do I> necessarily want to install a kernel for a 64-bit CPU ? IIUC I'm better> off running most Linux audio applications in 32-bit mode, which I> understand occurs seamlessly. But do I need to use a 32-bit kernel for> those apps, or do I need to install the 64-bit ? (Is that a dumb question?)
First I recommend gentoo, its nice, its cool, you don't install thingsyou don't need.
Second: If you have a 64bit processor you definitly want to make useof it. Most apps nowadays calculate with double-numbers. these run alot faster on 64bit.And gentoo has a very good 32bit chain for everything that needs it(flash and other bin-only-apps), so there is no need to worry.
Arnold
-- visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/---Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklichverhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner undeinen Sack Rohlinge kaufen.