Re: [ANN] ALSA MIDI Humanizer v0.0.1

Paul Coccoli wrote:

On 7/7/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Dave, have you seen this software I've just found?
>
> http://www.midi-plugins.de/mplug/mplug-hum.html
>
> This is quite close to what I want to achieve.

I took a look at it after seeing your link to it. Very interesting, I'd
like to check it out.

> After I've read your comments, and those by Frank and Stephen, I
> believe that the possibilty to choose different probability curves
> (linear, gaussian, exponential, reverse exponential) is the next
> feature to add.

I agree. These things are at least worth trying, and they may inspire
some musical usage we haven't yet considered. I love surprises... :)

Best,

dp

Maybe a more musical way to "humanize" would be to increase velocity
(by a small random amount) on the downbeat, and maybe decrease on
1/8th or 1/16th notes.  Or an option to increase on the backbeats,
decrease elsewhere.  Sort of like a step sequencer where you program
the delta (relative to the input) at each step instead of the absolute
value.

I was thinking about implementing some filtering rules for this, along with the support for multiple channels. That way you can send notes to different channels with different settings.

You'd need tempo information for any of that, I guess.  Might be
easier when Jack MIDI is more widely available.

What about using pitch bend to slightly "detune" some notes?  Might
make rolls sounds a little less mechanical...

No. The pitch bend would detune the notes being played all together.

c.

--
www.cesaremarilungo.com