Re: Re: which graphics card?

Esben Stien wrote:
Thomas Ilnseher <illth@xxxxxx> writes:

would anyone of you really spent € 280 for a 7800GT and use
(imaginatory) open source drivers instead of just get the same
performance from a €180 7600GT with closed source drivers ?

I would indeed do that and it's what I do today.
ok. i couldn't think of anyone doing that. i would not do it, as i am
quite comfortable w/ the closed driver, and can't see wha an open source
driver can give me that is worth €100. (i can see what an opensource driver can give me,
but it's not worth €100 imho)

This situation will
turn in our favor if even more people could see that this is the only
way we can make progress. By manifesting demand, more and more
pressure will be visible.
how? you can not get any decent gfx performance w/ open source drivers.
ati X series can hardly be called high end, not to speak about intel and via.

so you can boycott nvidia by buying <?> !
nvidia and ati are the only remaining high-end gfx chip vendors.

both have specs closed.

If they don't bend on this subject, I'm sure
we'll get a hero in the form of a free hardware project.
i think this doesn't work.
developing hardware is uber expensive, a set of masks for a chip
is $1M. as you need several masks, this would cost you ~ $10M at least.

i think this is too much money for an open organization.

FPGA is also not an option due to speed/power/etc.

also such a hardware would compete with via in the first place (slower than intel)
but for via/intel specs are somewhat open.

i have to confess that 3D gfx drivers (with decent performance) are
such a complex thing that you can not demand them to be opensource.

Sorry, but that's non sense, in my opinion.