Re: Stretching with very high accuracy

On 6/8/06, Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the format of the files? Raw audio, WAV, etc? What is the rough
content - if the signal is constant than sample insertion is not easy since
you may not have periods of silence. If the signal does have silent periods
then the solution may be a noise gate that inserts samples - this would be
all but inaudible. There is no reason why this should not work from file to
file with 'cat oldfile | <program> > newfile so should not need to have the
lot in memory.

Sounds cool. It also sounds simple enough for me to put together on my
own. The files are in mono wav. I could pipe them through sox to get
them to raw if that's easier to manipulate.

But I think I need to read up a bit on audio formats. I need to know
how many bytes to read to get one sample, given a specific sample
rate. And if I convert them to raw I need to find out how to get them
back to wav with the right header attached. What are the best places
to read up on that?

alex

--
Alex Polite