Re: USB-Midi

On May 30, 2006, at 7:37 AM, karsten wiese wrote:

Its not "out-of-the-box with XP and OS X" either,
you have to install a vendor supplied driver, or am i missing something?

The vendor causes it to be out-of-the-box by providing whatever software is needed *in the box*. What the buyer has in hand to work with is a combination of hardware, software, and instructions that results in useful capabilities on two of the three systems under discussion.

I'm not complaining in any way about Linux developer efforts in contrast to what the manufacturer supplies, but I do think it's worth pointing out that the end-user experience can be very different. To say generally that a USB interface will work on Linux if it works on the other systems would be misleading to people who haven't researched all the implicit qualifiers.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714