Re: Re: audio interface for laptop

cezar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Pieter Palmers <pieterp@xxxxxxx> writes:

cezar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Frank Barknecht <fbar@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hallo,
cezar@xxxxxxxxxxx hat gesagt: // cezar@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  Is there any audio interface with 8 or 10 out that works 100% with linux ?
For a laptop AFAIK there's only the RME PC-card interface supported
100%. If you're the experimental type of user, you may also want to
have a look at the freebob-supported Firewire devices:
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices

Ciao
TerraTec PHASE Rack 88 FW, TerraTec EWS Mic2 / Mic8 Firewire and ESI
QuataFire 610 seem interesting. Could anyone post some working
setups
 with these boards, technical issues and performance obtained.
I have a phase88 rack FW and an ESI quatafire 610.

Don't get the ESI, because they don't update their firmware (they are
still using a 2 year old firmware, while the most recent reference
firmware dates from january). Therefore it is difficult to fully
support it.

The Phase88 FW is nice. Very straightforward.

All devices you mention are BeBoB devices and are therefore supported
by the freebob project. we are going to release a first version of the
code really soon. This will allow you to use the BeBoB based devices
with jackd. If you want alsa, you'll have to use the jack<->alsa
plugin.

The support is not complete yet, but all the basic things are present:
- Analog I/O at all samplerates supported by the device
- Digital I/O, depending on the format and firmware config. SPDIF out
mostly works, provided it's not AC3 passthrough.
- MIDI support through ALSA-Sequencer

Experimental support for:
- multiple devices on the bus using wordclock sync

Not supported yet:
- hardware zero-latency mixer control
- extended device configuration controls (front/back switches, sync
modes, ...)
- native ALSA support

Roundtrip audio loopback latencies are, depending on your system,
around 5-7ms.

I think that everything you need for a basic setup is supported
(except for the mixer maybe). The more advanced stuff is going to be
supported in the next version. As we are cooperating with the chipset
& device vendors, we can assure you that all features of the devices
will be supported. It's just a matter of time.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers
freebob developer

I have a M-Audio Firewire 410 right now, could you tell if this will be
 supported sometime soon ? very soon ? :P This way I wouldn't have to buy
another interface.

The 410 is customised by M-Audio in such a way that is is non-BeBoB compatible. Therefore I can't tell if there will be support for it soon. However, as there seem to be a lot of 410 owners, I'll contact m-audio and see if they are willing to cooperate.

Bottom line: I can't guarantee you, but I'll ask m-audio. Ask me again in a week or so.

Greets,

Pieter