Re: quiting fsck

Paul really said everything there is to say technically. I'd just like to share my personal best practices.

I only use journaled ext3, so I can quickly bring up my system again if it crashed. I disabled maximal mount count and timespam, so I won't be surprised by fsck at system boot. If my system is working without problems I do an fsck run from time to time, if I don't need my computer (lunch breaks come in handy) with a "touch /forcefsck;reboot", so I don't have filesystem curruptions. I have further hacked my init scripts to honour a string "fsck" on the kernel command line, which will trigger a forced fsck (similar to setting /forcefsck). This way if my system crashes, I can force an fsck run when rebooting by altering the kernel command line with the grub bootloader, and I don't have to mount the filesystem writable, set /forcefsck and reboot (which I would have to do without my command line hack).

My code in the init script looks like this:

# check filesystems
FSCK=`dmesg|grep "Kernel command line:"|grep fsck`
if [ -f /forcefsck -o "$FSCK" ]
then fsck -A -P -C -a -f /
     if [ $? -eq 2 ]
     then halt -d -f