Re: Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

On 5/24/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 09:17 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> ext3 the best choice? Is there some easy way to convert an reiserfs
> partition to an ext3 one? All my partitions, including my root
> partition are reiserfs so i'm assuming that may be something to do
> with my inability to record more than 2 tracks at a time in ardour
> with my amd64 3000+ system and sata drives.

You'd have to copy off all the data, mkfs again, and copy it back.

Do you have CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y in the mainline kernel config?
ReiserFS 3.x uses it heavily.

Also, I never claimed that mainline was OK on all hardware - it does
work for me and several others I have talked to.  It will heavily depend
on the driver set.

Did you do:

 echo 64 > /sys/block/hd*/queue/max_sectors_kb

like I described on the ML and my LAC2006 paper?

You could also use Ingo's latency tracer patch for the mainline kernel o
debug it.

Lee

Guess i'll have to grab another drive then. My current one is pretty
full copying it across somewhere would take a while. I'm thinking it's
also limited ram, i've got 512 mb which is quite small for a 64 bit
system. Should i have CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL on or off?

Loki