How to setup dmix with m-audio audiophile usb

Hi,

I am struggling with setting up the alsa dmixer with the M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card. The card works well (even better now since alsa 1.0.11rc4/linux 2.6.17rc1) but only one application can access it at the same time. Internet search gives a lots of results for asound.conf dmix configurations (and that it should work out of the box with recent alsa versions) but the M-Audio seems to be special, as always. So,

1. Is this a stupid question? (I am a newbie...)

2. What's the correct asound.conf? I tried the following (and many similar to this):

[First soundcard is the onboard snd-intel8x0 card, the m-audio is the hw:2,0. It's a debian sid system with kernel 2.6.17rc2]

--------------------------------------
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024 # This must be a unique IPC key (see ipcs output)
        ipc_key_add_uid 0
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:2,0"
                channels   2;
                period_time 4096
                period_size 4096 # Must be power of 2 for alsa-oss
                buffer_size 8192 # ditto
                buffer_time   340000;
                rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
                0 0
                1 1
        }
}

# OSS via aoss should d(mix)stroyed:
pcm.dsp2 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.mixer2 {
    type hw
    card 2
}

the card still works with this, but no sound mixing. Playing a song and using another sound appl at the same time gives:

WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (hw:2,0): Device or resource busy

3. Can jackd and simple alsa apps use the soundcard at the same time with dmix (theoretically, if it would work)?

thanks, any help appreciated

Florian