questions re: 2.6.15 kernel

Greetings:

I retrieved the sources for the Linux kernel 2.6.15 (Debian's, not a Demudi kernel) and successfully built it. However, before I install it I need to know a few things.

First, is the kernel itself enough for low-latency performance ? I opted for the PREEMPT config, along with the 1000 MHz resolution for the timer, and I've compiled the RTC into the kernel. So do I now need a PAM or lsm or what ? It's been a long while since I configured and compiled a kernel, lots of choices exist that weren't there the last time I looked. I'm not even sure I know what PAM and lsm do. Btw, if I do need more than the kernel sources please include URLs for the needed stuff.

Second, do I need to compile anything other than ALSA for audio/MIDI USB support ?

Finally, the build instructions still assume LILO. What considerations need to be made for using GRUB instead ?

Any other advice/suggestions regarding this kernel will be greatly appreciated. :)

Best,

dp