Re: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do*you* stand?

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

Jan Depner escribe:
   Maybe in your country.  In the US, copyright is automatic and
doesn't even have to be registered (since 1998).  Registering copyright
can help you to defend it but all you have to do to claim copyright is
to "publish" the work.  In the legal sense "publish" means to issue the
work on any medium with a claim of copyright on it to someone other than
yourself.

I think in most countries copyright is "automatic". It wouldn't make
sense to give a legal basis to CC licenses otherwise. What you do
licensing your material as CC is "refusing" to the "automatic"
copyright up to the level you decide.

That's also why things need to be released to the public domain
explicitly.

As an example, text in my blog and my Flickr pictures are licensed
CC-by, this means anybody can use them personally or commercially and
that I only ask for attribution. I couldn't do that on a Copyright
basis.

Yes, but you can't release those pieces under cc licenses unless you have control of copyright. You lose copyright then you lose the right to license those pieces altogether. Being an amateur is a middle-class luxury.

cheers,

tim hall
/|\