Re: loops and trackers

Hans Fugal wrote:

The KDE/Gnome bashing thread had some mention of seq24. seq24 looks like
a really neat program. I like the interface and the simplicity and the
lightweightness. But I'm a traditional classically trained musician and
I have never been able to wrap my head around this loop based stuff. Has
anyone made that transition and would be willing to share his
experience? Is the grass greener on the other side? If so, how do you
make the paradigm shift?
Hi Hans:

seq24 is the first loop sequencer I've really got into. My MIDI sequencing background is primarily built around using a track-oriented sequencer.

You don't have to consider a new paradigm, you'll just be doing some of the old stuff in a new way. seq24 doesn't even really have to be used as a looping device, you can force it to behave more like a track sequencer if that's what you want (though I'd just use a different sequencer in that case).

I like being able to enter events and revise them in realtime, shaping the phrase/rhythm/melody/chordprog as the loop proceeds. This is seq24's main appeal for me.

Best,

dp