Re: recording guitar - level problems

Ken Schutte wrote:

I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card. I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc). No matter what I've tried, if I try to get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention some terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)

What kind of guitar are you using? What kind of pickups?

Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound? Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references out there?

There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp, alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all. I'd like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out. I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.

I personally don't recommend going direct into the sound card with a guitar, you should at least use a pre-amp or something to boost the signal, since the level coming from the pickups is very low, and the pre-amp in the sound card can be easy to overdrive with a guitar. Something like the M-Audio Audio Buddy or one of the ART MP tube pre-amps (both are relatively inexpensive) might be good for some things, although a real guitar pre-amp is ideal (and expensive). You can also get modeling pre-amps, like the Behrenger V-Amp (only $99 from Musician's Friend) or the Line 6 PODxt (about $299) -- these allow you to model amplifiers, microphones, rooms, etc., as well as give you a variety of effects and tone options. These are great for recording with, and you're neighbors will appreciate it also. :-)

If you have the space and forgiving neighbors and decent microphones, miking your guitar amp is the best option... this depends on the amp, of course. A cheap 15 watt Squier isn't going to sound all that great no matter what way you record it, whereas a 15 watt Fender Blonde Blues Junior Class A tube amp should *only* be miked and never used direct, IMHO.

-- Brett
--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com