Re: Ubuntu as a music studio

Jon Hoskins wrote:

I decided to give Ubuntu 6.04 "Dapper Flight 3" a run and noticed that
#cat /boot/config-2.6.15-4-386 | grep PREEMPT gives CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and
has been the same in all the "dapper" kernels I've tried, something that
was not enabled in the stable "breezy" kernels.  Does this mean the ubuntu
guys are looking at releasing a stable kernel with PREEMPT enabled?

Hey!

Precisely today I recompiled the Ubuntu Breezy kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and it made a huge difference! With my M-Audio Audiophile I'm able to get 2ms latency and lower completely stable! Before I was only able to go as low as 11ms stable or 5ms with some xruns... and the performance in general now is way faster! I also changed to CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y (as I have a P4 processor) so I'm not sure if the performance boost is only related to the PREEMPT option (or maybe both).

cheers!

Hector.