[linux-audio-user] Where to put your plugins

Another question that might be generic, but I'm asking specifically in
the case of ardour. Why does one choose to put which plugins pre-fader
or post-fader. In other words, which plugins work best pre-fader and
which work best post-fader? Are there general rules that one can apply?
For example I would think that compression should be pre-fader since it
wouldn't seem to make sense to be compressing after you've set levels.

Bill