Re: How to mount E-Mu Proteus X / Emulator X CDs?

Jeanette:
> Hey hey,
> does anyone know if one can mount CD images of E-MU Proteus X or Emulator X CD
> on Linux? I have found a big collection of sounds for these samplers on
> Archive.org:
> https://archive.org/details/e-mu-sound-central-esc-library-emulator-x-or-proteus-x_202103

One reviewer is saying that "E-MU Old World Instruments is corrupt :(".
If it is that you are searching for, then you might be out of luck.
Files seems to big for mee to download currently so I cannot help you
with them, perhaps in the weekend.

> I have searched the web a bit, but couldn't really find a solution. The discs
> come as .bin and matching .cue files. mpv can play the .cue files, but the
> resultant sound doesn't make a lot of sense. :)

 cue and bin files, are you talking about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)

If so, you can look in the cue file to see what kind of tracks you have
in the bin file.

Mounting the bin file isn't straight forward since they seems to be
a lot of tracks just added after each other. Perhaps a better strategy
would be to burn it to a cd, see below, or split it at the borders
specified by the cue files. Then after the split you have to figure
out what kind of files you got, the cue file might give you insights
in that, or try the file program, like this example:
$ file ave_coeli.midi
ave_coeli.midi: Standard MIDI data (format 1) using 6 tracks at 1/384
$

You can convert the cue file to cdrdao's toc file format, and then
perhaps burn a cd with the sounds on it with cdrdao.

https://github.com/cdrdao/cdrdao
https://cue2toc.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
/Karl Hammar