Re: Are there any good, free, Aeolus-style violin synths?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 03:07:15PM -1000, david wrote:

> My understanding was that Aeolus uses physical modelling?

No, it uses additive synthesis. Of course the way this works
is based on the physics, but it doesn't emulate the physics,
just the result of it.

> Sounds like it would really need a MIDI violin and a skilled
> violinist just to get the inputs.

It takes a beginning violin player quite some time to develop
the muscle control and memory required to produce a sound you
wouldn't want to run away from...

Depending on what you'd want to play, some of the inputs could
probably be programmed rather than provided by the player. For
example delayed ADSR controlled vibrato could in many cases
remove the need for finger position and pressure.

Ciao,

--
FA