Re: Are there any good, free, Aeolus-style violin synths?

On 3/27/24 01:17, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 11:14:02PM -1000, david wrote:

Just wondering. I love Aeolus' sound, and wondered if anyone has applied the
same idea to violins?
I assume you want a solo violin sound. For 'string sections' -
many violins playing unisono or simple chords - most synths have
approximate solutions or varying quality.

The way organ pipes and violins produce sound is fundamentally
different, so 'the same idea' - whatever you mean by that -
probably isn't going to work.
My understanding was that Aeolus uses physical modelling?

While an organ pipe sound will have some random variations even
after the initial 'attack', violin sound is continuously variable,
controlled by

- finger position
- finger pressure
- bow position
- bow pressure
- bow angle
- bow speed

and probably others. So any violin synth offering the same
amount of configurability as Aeolus offers for organ pipes
will require those inputs, and define how they are influencing
the sound.

A modular synth with lots of 'fundamental' modules (VCO, VCA,
VCF, ADSR, LFO) is probably the way to go, the other alternative
being real physical modelling which can get very complex.

Playing either of these on a keyboard will mean that many of
the 'physical' inputs will need to be replaced by combinations
of ADSR and LFO, in turn controlled by note events and one or
two keyboard controllers.

Ciao,

Thanks for the explanation of violin sounds. Sounds like it would really need a MIDI violin and a skilled violinist just to get the inputs.

I think that existing solo violin sound fonts/synths would be more than adequate for me.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx