Re: Advice on fitting new MIDI keyboard controller into my setup?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 11:12:35PM -1000, david wrote:

> The one convenience of having a keyboard that could make
> its own sounds was that simply turning it on was enough.

Only if all you want to do is just play it. For anything else
(recording, mixing,...) it wouldn't matter much if the sound
is produced by hardware or software, you need some way to
connect things and manage those connections.

Probably the simplest way is to use a session manager such
as NSM. This supports the way things are traditionally done
in Linux audio, by making and changing Jack connections
depending on what you want to do.

There is another way (which I prefer) to organise a soft
studio, more similar to what can be done when using a big
hardware digital mixer.

This means that everything is permanently connected to the
mixer, and all those connections - both analog and digital,
are fixed.

In a software environment that means that Jack connections
are fixed and have to be set up only once, e.g. by a script.

Large digital mixers usually have no dedicated inputs and
outputs, any one of them can be routed to/from any part
of the mixer. It's this that allows physical connections
to be fixed - all routing is done just be reconfiguring
the mixer.

I don't know of any (publicly available) Linux mixer app
that allows this, but it would certainly be my preferred
way to do things.

--
FA