Re: Stereo ping-pong delay routing and haas effect

Hi Jeanette,

On 18/03/2024 22:38, Jeanette C. wrote:
Hey hey,
I'm currently working on a few delays in Csound. I have a simple mono in -> stereo out ping-pong delay, which was easy. Even after some research I am uncertain how exactly to route and delay a stereo input version of that.

I'm actually quite a fan of this kind of delay especially for 'electronic' sounds (but not only). Personally I find that if a signal is stereo it would be good to have the dry signal remain stereo and then just sum it and feed it into the mono input of the delay.

IMHO the effect (re)creates a new stereo 'space' so trying to preserve the stereo information might be less relevant on the wet signal.

What I also like sometimes is to add a reverb after the delay, both on the dry signal (and in that case you still have some of the stereo information) and on the delayed signal.

For example with the above, say I have a (dry) instrument panned quite hard left or right, I'd send that to the delay and preserve the stereo panning on the dry, then the stereo delay will do its own stereo 'thing' and, possibly, the reverb will add a particular atmosphere.

As Fons also suggested this also really depends on the effect / result you are trying to achieve

Lorenzo