Re: Finding status of jack server with pipewire

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023, Bill Purvis wrote:

input port, and this seems to connect OK, and the client appears on
qjackctl's
connection graph, despite qjackctl saying that jack is stopped! Is pipewire
doing
a complete replacement for jack? I can't find much on the web other than

Yes, pipewire as it comes in most distros, replaces jackd(bus). However, for what you want to do, that is testing jackd, you need to get PW out of the way. Currently, PW uses it's own libjack and makes it the default libjack with a small file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/. The name of this file is distro dependant but look for something with both pipewire and jack in the name. This file will have a pointer to the pw version of libjack's directory. Mine has: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pipewire-0.3/jack/ right now. If you remove or better, rename this file (change the .conf to .back or something) and reboot or even run ldconfig, your applications, including qjackctl, should see the real jack.

There is no pw-jack bridge as there was with pulse. So your desktop audio will work with as normal until you start jack at which point the device that jack uses will no longer be available to PW. There are some pw config changes that should allow this to happen automatically but that will depend on what version of PW you have. PW is still in very active development (last I checked) and much of what I have written may be totally wrong for the latest versions of PW. I have heard rumours for example, that at some time PW will be able to use jackd's libjack and posibly be able to use jackd's backend modules.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net