Finding status of jack server with pipewire

Hi,
I'm putting together a digital organ using GrandOrgue and Jack, I've had to adapt
a program called ttymidi to convert serial input from Arduino scanners to Jack which
passes it on to GrandOrgue. It all works fine until I try to polish up the pwoer-on
sequence. If I start the modified ttymidi code before jack has got going it falls
over. I want to be able to test out my modified code on my laptop, as I only get
access to the organ occasionally. Unfortunately I recently switched my laptop to
use pipewire instead of pulseaudio (for general usage, such as watching web videos).
That got sorted out, but when I came to testing my code, it seems to set up the
connection to jack even when I've stopped jack (actually jackdbus). Is this because
pipewire is intercepting the requests (jack_open_client(...))? I tried adding an
input port, and this seems to connect OK, and the client appears on qjackctl's
connection graph, despite qjackctl saying that jack is stopped! Is pipewire doing
a complete replacement for jack? I can't find much on the web other than initial
install and setup, not much about how it works. I can probably sort out the
above problem next time I can access the organ, which doesn't need pipewire or
pulseaudio, so it will just be running jack, but I am curious to know more about
what is going on. Anyone on this list actually part of the pipewire team?

Bill