Re: wav format metadata editor

On 04/09/2023 11:35, Will Godfrey wrote:
Can anyone suggest a program that can edit metadata in 24bit wav files.
It seems Picard treats these as faulty - all the music players have no problems.

I use Kid3 to edit metadata of compressed formats (e.g. FLAC, mp3, opus) and it seems to be able to write limited metadata to a wav file in what it calls 'Tag 2' (ID3v2.3.0). According to Wikipedia [1] these are stored in the extra chuncks. A quick test I did with players I usually used showed that Audacious sees nothing while SMPlayer and VLC will pick up some metadata when selecting the detailed info. Interestingly I was able to add a 'cover' image which both SMPlayer and VLC showed in the video area when playing the file.

I guess maybe for 'archival' purposes where one would add metadata a format like FLAC which foresees metadata in the format [2] might be better?

Hope this helps
Lorenzo

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV?useskin=vector#Metadata
[2] https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_format_overview.html