Ardour MIDI workflow (Was: Spotlight Kyd - Angel of Ice)

Am 22.08.23 um 09:23 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
More on the technical/compositional side, I'd be curious to know what your workflow with Ardour MIDI is, if you're willing to share.

Sure, though I don't know that I'm doing anything differently than usual.

I mainly work with hardware synths connected via USB MIDI and either USB audio (e.g the MODX) or an audio interface (MIDAS MR18). The MODX has 10 USB audio channels, so I could record 5 stereo voices directly at the same time, but I usually record tracks one by one. Also, it only supports only 44.1 kHz, so I add it as a second audio interface via zita-a2j/j2a, which handles resampling to the 48 kHz rate my JACK server runs at.

In Ardour I create a MIDI track for every part played by an external MIDI instrument or a soft synth and one or more corresponding audio tracks (sometimes I layer the same part with two or more different sounds). I label these with the part name and an " M" or " A" suffix to know what's what. I also usually set each track to send only on one particular MIDI channel regardless of the channel recorded in the MIDI events. I often use MIDI processor plugins to adjust the transposition or velocity on the fly without needing to edit the region (very useful when doubling parts, for example).

For recording I arm both the audio and MIDI track and usually actually play things on my MIDI keyboard (or wind controller or guitar with MIDI converter). I record the audio directly for the rare case where I get the part right in the first try ;) More often, though, I fix up the MIDI regions afterwards and then play them back and record the audio. Sometimes I draw in additional automation of MIDI controllers or pitch bend, but in my experience that is cumbersome and difficult to get good results with and it's better to get the performance right, using additional controllers like foot pedals or a breath controller, if necessary.

I try not to quantize MIDI parts, unless the style calls for a very tight or robotic feel, e.g. in EDM. I'd rather fix a few stray notes manually with the edit tool. I use the key (4) to toggle snap edit mode *very* often and it annoys me that recent Ardour versions changed it so that it doesn't work anymore while you are already dragging a note :-(

This is usually an iterative process until I'm happy with the part. I then label the resulting audio region with the name of the patch, which was used and mute the MIDI track (or even deactivate it).

For drums I usually use one MIDI track for all instruments and use a plugin (sfizz or LS Multisampler) with multiple outputs and fan these out to separate audio tracks, at least for kick, snare, hihats, toms and cymbals. The then get different eq and compressor plugin and their own reverb sends. I often draw drums patterns directly in the MIDi region in Ardour, though I sometimes play & record them using a Launchpad X, to come up with better, more organic ideas.

Regarding effects, I usually records synths dry, unless a patch has an effect, which is an essential part of the sounds (e.g. phaser or compressor) and add effects in Ardour on the recorded audio.

I thinks those were the most important aspects of my MIDI workflow. Anything else you'd like to know?

Chris