Jack2 handling note-on/note-off

Hi,
I'm currently building a digital organ, using GrandOrgue as the main software. I've also constructed
the console using Arduinos (Arduini?) to scan tab stops etc., but as these are not recognised as music devices
I interpose instances of a program that reads/writes over a ttyUSB? serial port and injects the
MIDI events into Jack.

After lots of trials, I'm getting close to working, but just noticed an oddity.
When I connect up the console and route the incoming messages into jack and then on to a midi monitor
I notice that Jack seems to be changing my note-on events slightly. I'd been working on sending note-offs
as note-on(0x9?) with velocity=0, which has always worked in the past for me, but Jack modifies these
to be genuine note-off messages, with velocity=64. Is there a good reason for doing this?

It probably doesn't matter much, though I will now have to check in my Arduino code for the official
note-off. Just an extra line of code, but thought it curious behaviour.

Bill