Re: [ecasound] ecasound and pulseaudio

On Mon, 29 May 2023, Francesco Ariis wrote:

Have you tried stopping the pulseaudio server and using only alsa?

Il 29 maggio 2023 alle 09:15 rocco556@xxxxxxx ha scritto:
I uninstalled PulseAudio altogether because there were so many problems with running the Jack Server. And even though QJackControl Has ways to deal with PulseAudio, I write Jack commands in scripts. Of course PulseAudio kept getting reinstalled when I installed certain other programs. So maybe turning it off is your best bet.

I did not even know you could stop pulseaudio!

Pulse audio's dirty little secret:
Pulseaudio will always get it's mediaclock from a real device if it can find one. This is true even if it is tied to jack via the pulse-jack bridge. Even if the jack bridge is the default sink and source. Even if all the sound is going through jack and pulseaudio is not sending anything to some other device, this is still true. Extra devices may include, web cams with mics, video cards, etc.

However, if Pulseaudio is blinded to any alsa devices, it is forced to use the jack-sink/source modules as it's only mediaclock and can be quite stable so long as any desktop application using pulseaudio for sound can handle whatever latency jack is running at. Pulse itself seems to be able to handle jack running with 16/2, though it does use more cpu than jack does. (all jack latencies I personally talk about are at 48K)

To blind pulse to alsa devices remove the two modules (this can be done at run time):
module-udev-detect
module-alsa-card
In that order.

PipeWire does not have this problem and is quickly replacing pulseaudio and jack anyway. PipeWire is still a very much moving target and the list of what works and doesn't depends on which version your distro happens to have available... and, at least for now, does not support the ffado back end.

In many instalations(distros), pipewire will not allow jackd to run properly as it installs it's own version of libjack and puts it effectively at the begining of libpath. My understanding is that this may change in the future.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net