Re: Transcoding from lossy to lossy with minimal loss...

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 03:58:12PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, D.T. wrote:
>>* personally, I always had the feeling that opus (used a lot by youtube)
>>isn't so good with noisy, grungy, fuzzy, guitarry music
>
> Well, don't use something you don't like  :)
>
> I would almost suggest to try them all. I would think changing the
> codec is just a change the parameter, restart kind of thing. It
> doesn't have to be on the target machine for testing, just use which
> ever machine has the files on (or at least a good chunk of them).

To see what a given input file sounds like after being transcoded to
each of several different output formats, at a couple of different
bitrates in your range of interest, just run a for loop in Bash, no?
Something like (untested):

    for i in {m4a,ogg,opus}; do
        for j in {64k,96k}; do
            ffmpeg -i infile.flac -b:a "$j" outfile_"$j"."$i"
        done
    done

Tweak this for more detail if desired.

Then listen to the results, and go with whichever combination of bitrate
& codec you find most satisfying?

Sam