Re: Transcoding from lossy to lossy with minimal loss...

On Sat, 15 Apr 2023, D.T. wrote:

The Big Question:
Which format should I choose?

Opus is suposed to be very good at dealing with poor bandwidth or dropouts. That said, even though it is one of the defaults(standard formats) for webm, I think there are a lot of systems that don't have the codec installed. So, Ok for local use where you control the os receiving the stream, maybe not so good for wide distribution if that is what you are doing. Given what you have said below though, maybe that is no longer true.

* personally, I always had the feeling that opus (used a lot by youtube)
isn't so good with noisy, grungy, fuzzy, guitarry music

Well, don't use something you don't like  :)

I would almost suggest to try them all. I would think changing the codec is just a change the parameter, restart kind of thing. It doesn't have to be on the target machine for testing, just use which ever machine has the files on (or at least a good chunk of them).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net