Re: [LAD] Happy birthday, LAC! 20 years, and..going? Strong?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:14:47 +0100
Frank Neumann <beachnase@xxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>not posting to any of LA* mailing lists often in the last years, but today I thought
>I should make an exception to point out that it's now exactly 20 years ago that the
>first Linux Audio Conference or "LAC" for short (then still called "Linux Audio
>Developer's Meeting") took place at the ZKM in Karlsruhe, Germany.
>
>https://lists.linuxaudio.org/hyperkitty/list/linux-audio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/Q5OKVO7SIJXP4Y5443B4Z5PWKQY627QR/
>
>Wow, 20 years come and gone so quickly! It's great to see a couple of "early
>adopters" are still around today here, and many new names have entered the scene
>in the meantime and left/leave a lasting footprint in it.
>
>As a quick "trip down memory lane", here's a short list of things that happened back then:
>- Takashi Iwai dove into the innards of an ALSA driver
>- Fernando Lopez-Lezcano introduced the PlanetCCRMA distribution, based on Fedora
>- Steve Harris explained the concept of a Bode frequency shifter as a LADSPA plugin
>- Paul Davis held the keynote, AND spoke about JACK, AND shared his experience of writing
>  a DAW that is at the forefront of free, open-source and cross-platform DAWs today.
>- Dave Philipps looked at the historic development of Linux audio, from OSS to ALSA and beyond
>- Jörn Nettingsmeier managed to get the audio part of the presentations both recorded AND live-streamed
>  at a time when "streaming" was still a term unknown to most of us.
>- The term "Linux Sound Night" already existed, but was..perhaps not as musical yet as you might have expected :-).
>- And, we also learned that schedules are not easy to keep - I believe after the first day we
>  ran some >2 hours late, and people begin to STARVE.
>- Posing in front of the ZKM "Kubus": https://linuxaudio.de/LAC2003_Posse.jpg
>
>For some more memories, see also http://lac.linuxaudio.org/2003/zkm/
>
>Of course, on the downside it has to be noted that Corona has impacted us too -
>after an almost perfect track record of conferences or mini-conferences every year,
>2021 and 2022 didn't see any event happening. There is a certain risk now that it
>won't recover, but that's in our hands to change (sidenote: I have talked to my
>contacts at ZKM here in Karlsruhe in January, but they are unable to finance and/or
>organize an event of this size at the moment  - certainly somewhat influenced by
>current economics, but I am hearing ZKM has actually reduced their headcount quite
>a bit, and after the recent passing of its artistic-scientific chairman, Peter
>Weibel, it will have to be seen how his successor, Alistair Hudson, will steer
>it into the future).
>
>Whatever LAC's future will be, free and open-source audio software is certainly
>flourishing, and will continue to do so. It just would be soo nice to enjoy the
>results together with real, tangible people :-\.
>
>If anyone sees an option for hosting a future LAC, lac-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [...]

Thanks a lot for that Frank, and especially all those links! That's quite a
roll-call there, and I know most of the people (at least by name).
I can't remember when I first attended - just as a visitor. Mid 2000s I think,
but have thoroughly enjoyed them all!

Incidentally, I've made several attempts to get various UK unis interested over
quite a few years, but out of about a dozen emails, or letters I've so far not
had a single response. Maybe I'm "holding it wrong" :(

--
Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/