Re: How to analyse and "optimise" a frequency spectrum? (digitising tapes)

Hi David,
thanks for chiming in. I have loaded the files into my DAW and done what I could. It's not perfect, but perfectly viable. :) I am a creature of luxurious habits. Some EQ'ing, a narrow bandreject filter for one of the tapes, oddly at 60Hz, some very mild compression and a highpass filter at 30Hz. This is fine by me now. Maybe in time, someone else will come up with a recording of the same programmes.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Feb 14 2023, David Kastrup has written:

"Jeanette C." <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Fons,
thanks for your helpful feedback, comments and suggestions. It seems
that I am best served by polishing the recording manually after all.
Well, it was just three tapes with radioplays, so it will only be six
files to fix. And the fixing I intended to do was static, i.e. no
automation as in DAW automation. By automated I meant having a program
that would analyse the recording and suggest a few values for that
static polishing process. It's more a question of personal comfort than
creating files that are ready for public release.

I couldn't do much about the level of the tape I used to digitise the
tapes, since it is a USB tape deck. I can also only assume that it is in
good health, being rarely used, well stored and of rather adequate
quality.

Cassette tape?  I have a pretty good one of those (though with regard to
head azimuth, there usually is no better than the one the recording has
been made on) as well as good sound cards.  Dolby B and Dolby C would be
available if the recording had been made with either.

I could offer to try.  On the downside, I have a power landline a
quarter mile off which tends to be annoying for unbalanced equipment
(single coil guitar pickups are sort of a non-option, and I have quite a
bit of practice redoing the internal routing of audio hardware such that
magnetic fields don't squeeze between connections where it counts).  So
there may be a use case for a very narrow 50Hz notch filter in the
postprocessing.

All the best

--
David Kastrup