Re: Resetting USB MIDI cables

"Jeanette C." <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hey hey,
> I have an older USB to MIDI adapter cable, a UA0037 (probably
> LogiLink, sold as Conrad Electronic).

The infamous Chinese garbage adapter with the fantasy clef.

> The manual does not suggest any SysEx capabilitiies to reset/clear
> it. Sometimes it gets problems with SysEx transfer to/from the
> connected MIDI device and will no longer pass SysEx data.

Just throw it away.  It cannot even process chords properly without
losing data.  Yes, it is the most ubiquitous adapter type in the world.
It is still garbage.

Those garbage chips are even subverting once renowned manufacturers like
M-Audio.

Your best bet is to buy a used _old_ adapter from a manufacturer like
Roland, Yamaha, old!!! Midisport (an M-Audio model name), or anything
with Ploytec chips <https://www.usb-midi.com/> or use a soundcard with
integrated MIDI interface.  Those tend to work, too.

I use a Roland UM-4 (4 in, 4 out) myself.

Also if you only need a single one-directional connection, a Terrasoniq
Midi One cable is nice (ploytec chip, single MIDI plug that can do in or
out as needed, 5m cable with one side USB, the other MIDI, no idea which
plug carries the chip) but those are no longer produced it seems.

--
David Kastrup