Re: [Music] Synthetic Air on a B-Thing

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 11:14:42 +0200
Fons Adriaensen <fons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 11:49:08PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Let me quote (I just love how Bach or his copyist smears down the whole
>> 4-staff air by squeezing it on a page after ending an 11-staff
>> movement).
>
>:-) the paper must have been expensive...
>Thanks for the file !
>
>> Well, there is no reason not to try out artistic choices suggested by
>> your particular instrument.
>
>I agree. And I certainly don't want to discourage you.
>
>Every synth player should have a go at some 'Switched on'. If only
>to discover that it's not as easy as it may sound. At least not if
>you want something approaching the quality of Wendy Carlos' work.
>Been there myself...
>
>IMHO for this piece, sliding the upward larger intervals results
>in something that sounds overly sentimental, and that really kills
>the serenity the 'Air' normally has.
>

>Ciao,

I'm inclined to agree here. Portamento has to be used very sparingly otherwise,
apart from anything else, it sounds like you're trivialising it.
Having said that, kudos for having a crack at this - not something I'd try!

--
Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/