Re: Connect pipewire to running JACK server

Filipe Coelho <falktx@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 25/01/22 23:02, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 3:37 PM Jeanette C. <julien@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:julien@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     Jan 25 2022, Paul Davis has written:
>>     > There's some confusion here.
>>     >
>>     > Pipewire *reimplements* JACK, it does not connect to JACK.
>>     I am referring to the JACK bridge as described here:
>>     https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Config-JACK#jack-bridge
>>     <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Config-JACK#jack-bridge>
>>     Seeing that my soundcard setup is a little complicated, I'd much
>>     rather
>>     start with that, having my normal audio in tact, until I work out
>>     how to
>>     solve that issue.
>>

>> Again, PipeWire *is* JACK and it is also PulseAudio. It it not a
>> replacement for PulseAudio, it is a replacement for both of
>> them. Once you are using PipeWire, everything you've read about JACK
>> bridging etc. becomes incorrect and irrelevant.
>>
> You can though keep your existing JACK setup and bring pipewire into
> it, pipewire then becomes a regular JACK client.

Pipewire does not do Ffado.  It probably also doesn't do usb_stream
(which is undocumented in ALSA but if you find the documentation and
write your own setup file, can be made to work), but then I don't think
there are uses of it apart from Tascam 122L and probably 2 other Tascam
devices.  It's some sort of non-standard USB1.1 stream setup that can do
full-duplex at higher sample rates than standard full-speed.

I like the 122L because you could drive a truck over it and it would
likely still work afterwards.  Also has an analog monitoring setup that
is actually zero delay rather than "well, at least we don't go through
the USB roundtrip" that DSP "zero delay" monitoring provides.

> Might be useful if one wants to experiment with pipewire early, or use
> pipewire's pulseaudio stuff instead of pulseaudio directly.

Ffado really is not something I want to be without since the ALSA
Firewire stack just does not hold up to it.  I don't blame the ALSA
developers: most devices are to be considered ancient.  But I am not
interested in scrapping them.

--
David Kastrup