Re: Multiple sound cards

On 10.06.2021 16:33, Len Ovens wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021, Alf Haakon Pietruszka Lund wrote:

I was amazed at the ease of this setup and the problem-free routing of audio signals, so just for testing I split a stereo source recording one channel on each device to one stereo track in Ardour. To my ears, the sync is still perfect.

However, from this article https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html it seems I have to expect sync problems over time unless I do some manual configuring using the alsa_in and alsa_out clients.

Studio-controls already does this for you except it uses zita-ajbridge instead of alsa_in/out for better quality and less cpu use.

However, I would still not split a stereo source over two devices. It is likely that the stereo image will wander some even though the two channels are "in sync". So long as there is some isolation between the two mics there should be no problem but a set of mics for one instrument (like a drumset for example) should all be on the same audio interface. So using more than one USB mic for podcasting should be fine. For recording a "live in the studio band" a single audio device or two connected with wordclock are still better.

I did that just as a for-fun test, definitely will get bigger number of i/o for bigger recordings.

Still amazed at how smoothly this just works.

Thanks for answering, and for programming!

Best regards,
Alf