Re: MIDI Sequencer

On 09/04/21 16:16, Will Godfrey wrote:
Can anyone suggest a really simple MIDI sequencer, with no extra bells and
whistles, but just Alsa MIDI in, Alsa MIDI out, with piano roll type editing and
at least 16 tracks. Ideally, storage would also be standard MIDI files.

Depending on the scenario... I think Rosegarden might still fit in. Keep in mind that rosegarden can also actually work without jack and with just (Alsa) MIDI in/out. I know it's maybe not exactly a 'simple' sequencer per se, but you can use it in 'simple' ways and set it up e.g. to start with just 16 midi track (no audio), that's how I have my default template.

seq24 and the newer versions/forks (e.g. seq66) also come to mind and the editing interface resembles a (very basic) piano roll. Although seq24 is more aimed at live so you don't have a typical 'track' layout.

There is non-sequencer (but you'll need a bridge for alsa midi). Never really used it though as I couldn't get accustomed to it's 'piano roll'.

There are a bunch of other sequencers which were quite straightforward like Jazz++ but I think most are abandonware these days.

Hope this helps.

Lorenzo.