Re: pipewire update, was Re: Need MIDI keyboard for Zoom Class

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

Definitely an interesting development in the Linux Audio (Video) ecosystem.

I'm curious about something: how low latency (JACK) applications and non-low-latency (Pulseaudio) applications like browsers will be able to "co-exist".

pipewire buffers the bridge from desktop to jack. So the desktop application can run at 500ms while the jack portion is running at 5ms for example. SRC will be used as needed. In my opinion this is the big missing piece in the current pulse-jack bridge which forces pulse to run at jack's latency.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net