Re: Need MIDI keyboard for Zoom Class

On 9/20/20 3:47 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
Am 20.09.20 um 08:29 schrieb Jeanette C.:
You can make JACK and PulseAudio play together, which opens the field
wide. This is from the ArchWiki, but the methods work for other
Distributions too:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples#PulseAudio_through_JACK
This section of the wiki page should really be updated. The first method
listed there, of setting up the bridge between JACK and Pulseaudio, is
IMHO not really the best.

The author of Cadence itself does recommend not using it anymore and
there is a stripped down replacement in the pipeline.

That's sad. I tried various ways to get JACK and PulseAudio to cooperate with each other, and was only able to get it set up using Cadence.

As it is now, it executes a custom script to set up the JACK-Pulseaudio
bridge, which bypasses the global and/or user configuration for the
Pulseaudio modules "module-jack-sink" resp "module-jack-source". When it
starts the pulseaudio daemon itself, it uses a custom configuration for
it, which is different from them global or user one.
But my user audio setup is via Cadence. I don't have to set it anywhere else. And I have no interest in a global audio setup because I only use audio when logged in as myself.
This may lead to confusion when trying to change the Pulseaudio
configuration, because changes to the global or user configuration might
or might not take effect when using Cadence to set up Pulseaudio.

In short, I recommend the setup described in the section "The manual
sink configuration method", which is really the least manual of all,
because, once configured, you just start JACK (jackdbus) via your
preferred method (jack_control, qjackctl, jack-select, etc.) and
everything else happens automatically (i.e. Pulseaudio relinquishes
access to the audio device and the Pulseaudio-JACK bridge is set up and
it's ports are connected).
My preference is to set the audio device in JACK and make PulseAudio use JACK. (Another fight I had with Pulse was its absolute insistence on using my laptop's built-in audio instead of my USB sound card.)

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx