USB audio hotplug

I have used UbuntuStudio for quite a while. And, when IO plug in a USB audio device it magically appears on the port list (for example in Carla).

I find myself attempting to set up a Debian 10 system and would like the same to happen.

I've added the KX studio repo and Ardour, Carla, etc. work via JACK with the onboard audio hardware. And the pulseaudio bridge works as well.

Where do I start to get USB audio working?