Re: Linux MIDI resources

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, Brian Hagen wrote:

    I have some good audio resources up and running on Ubuntu Studio 18.04. When I searched for MIDI utilities, what I have found so far is a bunch of them that can be downloaded and compiled (supposedly). When I attempt that, so many of them have such cryptic error streams that it appears that only a highly skilled Linux programmer could get them to configure, compile, and install properly.

    Does anyone know why these resources seem so difficult to get going? Please comment.

The standard problem on debian/ubuntu/etc systems is that the lib packages are divided into two packages each. The run binary and the build includes etc. So if you get a can't find libsample and yet you know libsample is installed and works, there is probably another package called libsample-dev. Install that package and try again... and probably install the next one that is missing. Do remember that sometimes the you will be missing sample and the package may be called libsample still.

Yup, all good fun in buildland.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net