Re: "A complete guide of and debunking of audio on Linux, ALSA and Pulse"

On 13/8/19 6:21 pm, Max wrote:
I stumbled upon this post on Reddit, might be of interest here:

"A complete guide of and debunking of audio on Linux, ALSA and Pulse"

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/coi4dt/a_complete_guide_of_and_debunking_of_audio_on/

395 comments in 2 days. I guess not everyone takes what is written as gospel. Author seems to focus on consumer type listening rather than any consideration of production or creation.

They should also explain why they think this is true - "Do not set avoid-resampling to true, this is a huge misconception, this does not improve sound quality at best, and in the worst case, can actually break things." I have it set to true on one system and have had no issues. With only listening tests I dare say it may sound better although I can't prove it quantitatively.

Also the claim that lossy audio can sound as good as lossless has been the trigger for numerous online wars of words. I'm sticking to FLAC for one.

Roger