Re: GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

On 10/09/2018 11:42 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
One of the "new" gnome-isms that I hate is thew take over of of the window decorations. I tend to use many windows on any screen and I want to know which window has focus. I look for a desktop theme where the window with focus has a different colour than all others. Right now I am using orange for focused and grey for unfocused. Any gnome app I use insists on a grey title bar no matter what the theme is and merely makes the text slightly greyer for unfocused. This forces one to use click to focus instead of focus follows mouse (they still don't seem to have focus follows mind for some reason) which makes things like copying from one window in full view to a window partly covered hard to do.

Skinny window handles is another of complaint I have against many of the newer desktop themes. The motif wm may be old and plain but it easy to actually use.... though some of the old scroll bars took some getting used to  :)   No I am not suggesting a return to motif or fvwm...

Just a side comment: It can be useful, especially during design
 and debuggging of an app, to know exactly which widget has the
 keyboard focus - no matter how small or insignificant the widget.

I had found that the only WM ever to do this thoroughly and completely
 was... the ancient TAB window manager.
TAB WM put a black rectangle around *any* widget that had the focus,
 no exceptions, no matter what the widget.

I found it annoying but understandable that later WMs (themes actually)
 didn't do that and typically only highlight widgets such as line
 editors and so on. Some themes did a terrible job of highlighting
 buttons and it was a real pain to ensure that all the various themed
 buttons worked the way we wanted in our app.