Re: M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

Den 2018-08-02 22:09, skrev Tim:

On 08/02/2018 05:29 AM, Ketil Thorgersen wrote:

So - dear clever people: Should I abandon the card or do you have some ideas for a possible solution for me?

All the best!

Ketil

Hi list. Talk of intermittent distorted audio, clicks,
 and pops is really sending up a /huge/ red flag for me.

This is just a shot in the dark but have you tried running
 with just one CPU core?

Also, is the CPU clock throttling turned off, and are
 certain CPU features such as the Intel Hyper Threading
 turned off?

Recall some months ago I had trouble with my PCI Delta1010
 ice1712-based card. Same issues. Clicks, pops, and
 after a while, distortion.
After tough debugging it turns out I must run ONE core only.
I can dig up the thread but basically that's it.
Coincidentally, a few weeks later another poster asked the
 very same question about another brand of ice1712 PCI card.
I explained the solution, and he replied that it worked.

It seems to me that if your device works at all sometimes,
 it should work all the time.
In my mind this screams out timing errors.
Certain pointers are drifting with time, and not stable.
In my case this was because of more than one CPU core.
I tried affinity settings but it didn't seem to get anywhere.
Only running one CPU worked.

I think there's a small gnome taskbar thing that can set
 the CPU frequencies and cores.

Ralf helped with command lines to set the number of cores.
I don't have those commands handy ATM.

Tim.

Thank you!
Interesting! I will test more tomorrow and let you all know if I find a solution (or if I need help to find out e.g what the Gnome thing is called)
All the best!
Ketil