Re: udev broken?

On 04/11/2018 09:01 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:32:38 -1000
"David W. Jones" <gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On April 11, 2018 11:20:25 AM HST, jonetsu <jonetsu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 19:14:23 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I did an upgrade (debian testing) a couple of weeks ago, and found
xfce could no longer automout USB sticks and drives (pmount still
works). On Monday, I decided to do some work on an Arduino, and it
seems that also can no longer recognise boards plugged in via usb.

Just curious, what would be the need to upgrade to Debian *testing* in
the first place ?

I run Debian Testing, get more current software that way. But I don't think Will meant he upgraded *to* Debian Testing. I think he did just like I did: updated his existing installation.

Exactly!

:)

Sorry, Will, but I did same upgrade and don't have any problem with USB drives and such. I don't have an Arduino, so can't check that.

It seems there are two separate issues that just happened to appear at the same
time.

The Arduino one I solved by getting the package direct from the Arduino website
(it is completely self contained).

Hurrah!

The automount one is puzzling. Initially I thought it was a permissions issue of
some sort, but couldn't find any that have changed. Further investigation
suggests this is a glib problem :(

I just checked that here at home. Inserted a USB stick drive, it didn't automount. I fired up gparted and discovered that the drive had somehow acquired a mangled partition table and lacked partitions. (I think I tried to update a Live Linux + persistence setup a friend had put on it for me several years ago.)

Rewrote a partition table and formatted it as EXT4 and it automounted just fine. When I have more energy and time, I'm going to sort out how to put AVLinux 2018 on it. May have to do this from a VM running the AVLinux ISO, will consult their manual.

Which version of glib do you have? I have no idea how to tell.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx