Re: ShowQ - "a QLAB for Linux"

On 08/10/2017 08:11 AM, Peter P. wrote:
Hi Tim, list,

* Tim <termtech@xxxxxxxxxx> [2017-08-07 19:32]:
[...]
I've got ShowQ open in KDevelop, ready to troubleshoot.
But I'll need more information.
Is there anything else at all printed in the terminal output?
Upon starting showq qjackctl prints in its Messages window:
	14:06:17.923 JACK connection graph change.
	14:06:18.115 JACK connection change.
and its Connections pane shows the first two outputs of ShowQ being
connected to system:playback_1 and _2.

Here the GUI dialog box "Show Q encountered an unknown-error. Please
Upon pressing "Ok" ShowQ exits and jackd reports
subgraph starting at ShowQ timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=28, status = 0, state = Triggered, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)

It is best if /you/ try running a debug session under KDevelop,
   or use gdb stand-alone. (I just prefer KDevelop.)
It should show you the troublesome line(s) causing the crash.
ShowQ does not crash, so there is no backtrace from within gdb. All it
prints is

	(gdb) run
	Starting program: /usr/bin/showq
	Using host libthread_db library
	"/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
	[New Thread 0x7fffea53b700 (LWP 5756)]
	[New Thread 0x7fffe9cff700 (LWP 5759)]
	[New Thread 0x7fffe94fe700 (LWP 5760)]
	ShowQ:out_1 # system:playback_1
	ShowQ:out_2 # system:playback_2

(here is where the GUI dialog box "Show Q encountered an unknown-error.
Please report this error to the developers of the program" is displayed.
Upon pressing "Ok" ShowQ exits with

	[Thread 0x7fffe94fe700 (LWP 5760) exited]
	[Thread 0x7fffea53b700 (LWP 5756) exited]
	[Thread 0x7ffff7fa9a00 (LWP 5687) exited]
	[Inferior 1 (process 5687) exited with code 01]

Hm, weird. Thanks.

So, are you saying that ShowQ actually runs, then shows
 the error message some time later after usage, or
 right away upon starting it shows that message box?

Here I am able to run ShowQ and I created a wave-file cue and
 was able to preview (listen to) it no problem.

I also created a midi patch in the patch section, and
 it connected to my midi ports no problem.

I can tell by the listed port names that it uses
 ALSA for midi, not Jack midi.

Some quirks though: The wave preview worked fine the first time,
 but upon restarting ShowQ and doing the same steps, it would
 not start playing until I pressed a few other things, not sure what,
 but I think I pressed menu Cue -> Load, then it worked.
Also the midi ports don't show up in the list until
 an actual left-hand list item is clicked and enabled.

But still no exit.

Hmm...
Tim.

I forgot to ask:
Can you do us a wee favour and run Jack with the Dummy driver
  instead of ALSA?
It will create two dummy ports and ShowQ should be able to start.
If it doesn't, then I do not think Jack is the problem.
It does not start with the dummy driver, thanks for the idea.

My guess would be something graphic related.
The nature of that bug report error screenshot, and the fact
  I get things like this when actually operating ShowQ seems to
  suggest graphics troubles:

** (showq:10780): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
         /usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/../assets/line-h.png,
borders don't fit within the image

(showq:10780): glibmm-CRITICAL **:
unhandled exception (type Glib::Error) in signal handler:
domain: gtk-builder-error-quark
code  : 2
what  : /usr/local/share/showq/ui/editmidi.ui:404:1 <object> requires
attribute "id"

(showq:10780): glibmm-CRITICAL **:
unhandled exception (type Glib::Error) in signal handler:
domain: gtk-builder-error-quark
code  : 2
what  : /usr/local/share/showq/ui/editmidi.ui:404:1 <object> requires
attribute "id"
Hm, I tried to remove my current .gtkrc-2.0 but the error remains.

Thank you again so much.
Peter