Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

On 05/13/2017 04:50 AM, list wrote:
Hello All !

Le Fri, 12 May 2017 22:09:26 +0200,
list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE)
is working  for Gnu/Linux.

Hmm according to Fernando's message  :

I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a
USB3
interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but then
the I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output (in the older
generation and with the latest firmware you can select whether you
have
more channels and less sampling rate options or visceversa - that is
not available in these new cards). If you connect to an USB3 port the
USB subsystem in the kernel hangs or gets really confused. Reboot
time :-(

The MOTU 624 might have troubles, as the USB port is a USB3 one.

Yes, it looks like that one might be affected, it is probably based on the same platform. I tested (and still have) an 8A.

I really have to find one to test.

Fernando : Have you had a chance to tweak/test the bios settings
related to USB  : hands off / legacy and others options that motherboard
sometimes offers ?

No, sorry, no time to test further. I don't think I saw any options in the BIOS of the mobo I was testing with. It seemed like a pretty bad USB3 problem (or interaction with the firmware and/or hardware in the 8A). The interface was recognized fine, but any attempt to use it would hang the driver and require a reboot. This was perhaps a month ago or more, maybe there is newer Motu firmware. Also, this was on 4.9.11-rt9, newer kernels might have this fixed (or might be worse :-)...

Best luck!
-- Fernando