Re: Allen&Heath Ice-16

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, Georg Krause wrote:

The sync connector is a mini 8 pin din? (as used in DJ equipment) It
syncs not only audio clock but also transport control. The manual refers
to the DJ syncing equipment as a source for cables, but does not say if
it uses the same standard, nor any pinout info. They do not seem to
expect anyone to use more than two synced together. I do not know if
this is a hard limit (adding a third unit just won't work) or daisy
chaining to more than two just doesn't give good syncing. I suspect that
the sync out comes from internal clock and is not clock through. So at
best it is sync in -> local clock ppl -> clock out. The manual does not
say if the transport can be controlled buy the connected computer, but
does say that streaming to USB stick turns off the stream to USB
connected computer.

Well, the hole syncronisation is a topic i dont really care about, but
FYI an quote from the maual:

"Expand: You can link ICE-16D units together in different ways. You can
daisy chain two units together using the FireWire ports in order to
expand the number of channels connected to a computer. Or you can link
two or more units together using the Sync ports in order to synchronise
more than one ICE-16D when recording multiple channels"

I saw the two units for firewire and thought it applied to USB as well, but it does say "or more".

Page 31 and following gives you more information if you are interested in.

Ya, I had read that. It actually says very little. I feel cheated when the manual does not at least have a URL to the standard used... Maybe I ask too much :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net