Re: Again: JACK using too much CPU after a while

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Ffanci Silvain wrote:

Hey hey everyone,
I've looked more into this problem and found that JACK will start by using between one and two percent of the CPU, but will gradually require more. After a day JACK's CPU usage stands at about 65-85%.

Usage: currently only mpv (multimedia player, completely shut down after every use). No persisting audio connections, no other realtime and CPU hungry applications.
$ uptime
 16:52:06 up 25 days, 19:50, 16 users,  load average: 1.39, 0.82, 0.43
DSP with Ardour running 3.6 to 3.8% (only two plugins fluidsynth and reasonable synth just now) i5 at 3.4Gh, 8Gram, FF has over 10 tabs open. Cpu on all cores less than 10%. PCU gov perfomance... only 1 ice1712 card here. Oh you have 256, cpu at 256 is the same, DSP is 7.7%

JACK Version: 0.121.3
Kernel Version: 3.9.0-rc6 SMP PREEMPT
CPU scheduling/scaling_governor: powersave
CPU setting: 800MHz single-core (of a 3GHz quadcore)

While I have run at 800Mh for a long time (on a single core atom of all things) with no xruns, I was using the userspace cpu gov. Any speed change (in the down direction) gives me xruns. Of course CPU usage and DSP go up as CPU speed goes down. WHen jack first gets started powersave will give cpu close to full speed, as jack idles, cpu speed goes down and cpu used to keep up with jack's unchanging needs goes up.

Set Cpu to performance. Based on my CPU temperature readings, power use doesn't change much.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net