User interfaces for Audio [WAS]: Re: ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

On 29/04/16 18:45, Paul Davis wrote:
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Will Godfrey
<willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:37:25 -0400
    Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > From Apple's "Optimizing Audio Unit User Experience in Logic Studio"

[...]
However, I cited the stuff from Apple because a lot of people forget
just how batshit crazy plugin hosting really is, and that for it work
well, the plugin (developer)
needs to be aware of certain basic guidelines. This is as true for the
GUI side of the plugin as it is for the DSP side

There's also an interesting user-experience corer to it. For example one thing I noticed in Ardour is when you open a LADSPA plugin window Ardour still 'grabs' keyboard shortcuts (e.g. SPACE to play, HOME to rewind); open an LV2 window and I'm most often hitting HOME to rewind just to discover I've set the parameter under focus (usually a shiny knob) to its minimum value :)

This is just to point out consistency, I'm not sure what is better in general, in theory adhering to some Library (GTK?, QT?, ...) 'standard' would provide a consistent experience, but then I guess I'm the only one entering numeric parameters into plugins (and therefore usually prefer LADSPA..?).

Lorenzo.