Re: QJackCtl starts up with message window displaying this message

On 03/18/2015 01:43 AM, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
On 03/18/2015 07:54 AM, david wrote:

When QJackCtl starts up now, it always displays the message window with
this showing in it:

21:30:58.980 Patchbay deactivated.
21:30:58.999 Statistics reset.
21:30:59.007 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI
patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Happens whether I've got it set to use RAW or SEQ midi.

I don't have QJackCtl set to start JACK on startup, I start it manually.

When I start it manually, it starts up and everything audio works fine.
But if I set it to use SEQ, there are no entries in MIDI or ALSA tab. If
I set it to use RAW, it finds my E-MU XMidiX1 and adds 1 in and 1 out
port. That puts only 1 midi_capture_1 port on the MIDI tab, though. It
apparently no longer finds it as an outport (I can tell because the OUT
port light on my interface doesn't come on.

you don't seem to have ALSA sequencer kernel module loaded
(snd_seq_midi)--you need that for the jackd "seq" midi driver to
function properly and/or to get rid of that qjackctl startup message as
well or you can disable ALSA sequencer support on qjackctl/Setup/Misc
and try again.

hth.
cheers

Thanks, Rui. I put it in my modules files as David Baron's advice (thanks, David) and the keyboard is once again in its rightful place.

I do wish simple things like this are kept straight in the future. Aptosid is a problem right now when it comes to systemd/udev. Debian has switched to systemd. Aptosid's kernel, though, has not. And since most updates to Aptosid come from Debian Sid ... oh, well!

--
David W. Jones
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx